Sunday, 18 March 2018

DAVID HAUGHTON IN ST JUST

WORK OF ART: 

As a past student of David Haughton (Central School Year 1973-76) and later as a staff colleague of his at the Central School of Art (1979-1985), I had great pleasure in organizing a one-man-exhibition of the work which had survived his studio fire at Holland Park, at the private gallery in Regents Park then calling itself The Work of Art Gallery:

I curated the exhibition, printed the posters, compiled the invitation list, sent out the invitations, and hung the show with the help of my good friend and fellow Haughton enthusiast Noel Betowski. 

It was well worth the effort providing David with a feel-good factor ahead of his impending illness.
It was in April 1983 and I wrote in my journal, " 'Rooftops, St Just' forms the focal point in the main room, opposite the only remaining large abstract from the 1960s. All looks neat and assured, The drawings are a delight. David seemed pleased with the result, having been unwilling at first. He has had little energy or enthusiasm for the project. The exhibition sadly serves as a sharp reminder of how much the fire claimed."

I'm pleased to recall the late Dr David Brown attended the exhibition and went away planning that the Tate should purchase 'St Just Houses' for their Modern British collection. 

David's friend and fellow painter, Kit Barker, (with whom David had "discovered" St Just during a cycle ride in the late 1940s) also attended the preview. It was a happy occassion.



PENLEE HOUSE:

Most recently I have once again had the honour of reminding art lovers and curators of the remarkable talent that was David Haughton. I instigated the recent exhibition ‘David Haughton in St Just’  at Penlee House Gallery and Museum (12 January - 17 March), an exhibition planned to be curated by me (though events proved this was not to be) and ultimately curated by the museum's director with the assistance of David's daughter, the writer and art lecturer Frances Lord.

Once again art viewers have been delighted and surprised by the quality of this very individual artist's mastery of observation and personal technique. The exhibition was long overdue. Penlee's press release states,

"Although David Haughton’s work has been included in group shows, notably at Tate St Ives and the Royal Cornwall Museum, Truro, in the 1980s, this is the first time since his death in 1991 that a solo exhibition has been organised."


The director of Penlee explained, 

“David Haughton was an important player in the St Ives art movement of the 1950s that included major artists such as Barbara Hepworth and Ben Nicholson. I sincerely hope that ‘David Haughton in St Just’ will raise awareness of the contribution that this artist made to 20th century art, not only in Cornwall, but on a national level.”


St Just-In-Penwith: 

St Just town mayor Brian "Clemo" Clemens (pictured here - centre right - with the Town Mayor of Penzance, Dick Cliffe, and consorts) attended the exhibition to give St Just's seal of approval to the exhibition's emphasis upon David Haughton's continual observation, over many years, of this inspirational town.

David's stay in West Penwith was short lived. He moved back to London in 1950. However, he returned every year for 30 years, often bringing small groups of students with him. The exhibition at Penlee House showcased over 40 paintings, etchings and drawings that David made of St Just between 1948 and 1979.


MESSAGE OF THANKS:

Former student of David Haughton, Chris Gough has kindly written to me saying, 

"I first spotted your blog in May 2014 and was delighted as a fellow ex Central student to read of David's show.

Although David didn't take my year on the regular Cornish drawing trip he and I did a substantial amount of walking both during my time at Central ('69-72) and for several years after. I have David to thank for introducing  me to both serious walking and serious looking. If I was with him the two were usually combined! 

So/but the real reason for writing is to say a huge thank you for all your work over what seems to have proved to be a sustained period  promoting and organizing a wonderful tribute to a unique artist, teacher and man. 

Last week I took the train down from Broadstairs via Paddington staying the night round the corner from the museum and the next day spent a wonderful morning enjoying the show followed by a taxi ride to St Just itself. Lunch in the Star Inn and bus back completed a magical day. Caught the train back and still reeling from the experience!"

Thanks Chris, I am glad weather conditions didn't interrupt your visit as it did for a few days of snow, during which Penlee Gallery was forced to close. West Penwith can be full of surprises!


Cape Cornwall Road, 2018


David Haughton: "Cape Cornwall Road"


Houses St Just, 2018 
(photos Stephen Prince)

No comments:

Post a Comment